If you aren’t sure you have anti-virus or other anti-malware software protecting your computer, or if you aren’t sure these tools are up-to-date or effective, there’s a 5 click way to find out. Your time commitment? Less than 7 seconds. Less time than it has taken you to read this blog this far.
For 90% of computer users, some version of Windows is your operating system. If you aren’t a Windows user, you can stop reading here because unfortunately this solution won’t help you, I’ll try to give you tips in a later blog.
BUT… if you are among the 90% using Windows, take 7 seconds to:
- Log onto Microsoft’s Security Scanner page, either from this link or from the security newsletter Microsoft sent out earlier this month. (3 seconds)
- Click on the big Download Now button. (1 second)
- Select your download version (1 second)
- Accept license terms (1 second)
- Select a full scan of your computer (1 second)
Now relax and let the scanner do its work. When done, it will tell you if your computer has a clean bill of health, or if you need to do something to clean it.
One tip: Running the scanner takes time, you may want to start this before going to bed, or before stepping away from the computer for a while so it doesn’t slow you down while working.